Acne is among the most common skin diseases affecting a lot of people in the world. It is characterized by blackheads, whiteheads, and blemishes. It is common among teenagers but also available among adults. There is no exact known cause of acne, but hormonal changes in teenagers and during pregnancy or before ladies receive their periods may act as contributing factors.
There are two types of acne
· Noninflammatory acne, characterized by blackheads and whiteheads.
· Inflammatory acne, characterized by pimples which may burst to leave behind red areas on the skin called “papules.”
Causes of acne
A lot of factors can bring about or worsen an acne. The following are some of the causes:
· Oil based cosmetics which may react with the body leading to acne.
· Anxiety and stress. Lead to hormonal changes.
· Exposure to dirt or humidity
· Changes in hormones and or changes before menstruation.
The following can be done to prevent or reduce acne:
· Never squeeze or prick an acne, this prevents damaging of the skin and worsening of the acne.
· Emphasize on using oil free skin and hair care products.
· Wash up your skin after engaging in sweaty activities.
· Use sunscreen products, since medications on acne may increase your skin’s sensitivity.
Getting rid of acne scars
· Honey. Contains antibacterial properties that help reduce marks and scars from the skin.
· Aloe Vera. Help bring back the skins moisture making the scars fade away.
· Baking powder. Minimizes the appearance of the scars.
· Fresh lemon. Lightens up the skin hence a faster healing of the scars.
· Cortisone cream. This cream prevents inflammation and heals damaged skin. Talk to your doctor to help you get the best cream for you.
· Skin lightening cream. These creams contain chemicals that help remove hyperpigmentation skin caused by acne scars. The over the counter creams will eliminate the scars.
· Protect your skin from direct sunlight because it worsens the scars.
· Use skin care products. Ensure no irritation comes from the products otherwise, the scars will worsen.
· Remove dead skin regularly. An acne scar only covers the upper skin layer; this means frequent dead skin removal will eventually finish the acne scars.
Visit the doctor
Some scars are very stubborn and need a doctor’s attention. If you try some cream, and it fails, do not persist in it but make a point of seeing the doctor for better medication.